Monday, April 05, 2004

passing my final theory test to drive in a lotus to newsroom bar

ok 1 entry for the weekend... this is gonna be a long one



Went to a party last night at newsroom bar. I think it is the nicest club i been to so far. Its pretty big so u can a have a decent amount of breathing space to yourself, though the dance floor was really cramped. a bit weird: cramped dance floor but plenty of space elsewhere. think they need to rearrange a bit. anyways after last night I decided that I wont drink anymore due to various reasons listed below.

when i first started to club, i used to be really self-conscious about dancing and all so I would have to drink buckets and get REALLY high before i could enjoy myself and dance. Since then, I've become less self conscious and have gotten even more tolerant of alcohol, so if i wanna get high it usually is quite a effort on my wallet's part. I also will be driving pretty soon, and when I do, I probably wont drink at all coz the penalties of drink driving are seriously scary, your license gets revoked and u get charged (!). Next time ill just use up my free drinks, sip a bit of my friends' drinks here and there and thats it. getting high is usually more about your mind letting go than the amount of alcohol you consume. just laugh a lot and you'll get high hahahaaha. see? (shutup jon)

oh yeah and my surefire came to the rescue!!!!!! you can read about it here. What happened was while dancing my gf dropped her handphone and it sort of exploded into its little pieces (main unit, battery, back cover). She reached down to pick up the pieces but could not find the backcover. So I whip out my surefire and practically burn a hole in the ground with it. Found the backcover a fair distance away. Seriously, without a doubt if i didnt have my surefire we wouldnt have found it. imagine the pitch darkness and all those stepping feet everywhere... impossible. my sf also came to the rescue earlier in the day. too lazy to talk about it now but ill just say it involved being IN (see how useful a waterproof light is?) a swimming pool staring down the big drain thingy.

My dad has been looking out for a new car (even though we just got a new one less than a month ago), specifically something flashy coz all our cars are so practical. If we do end up getting one more we'll have 4 cars which would be a bit ridiculous, anyway went with him to see a old lotus esprit today. It was a red 1980something (forgot) Lotus Esprit 2.2 Turbo. It looks absolutely awesome. Its the kind of car that just stands out so much on the road. I think it would be a real babe magnet haha. However, it is a very old car, and the condition could be better. If we do get it, it would require an extensive amount of work, like a new paint job, re-upholster the interior, overhaul the engine etc. Thats all expected, however, the one thing that i didnt like about it was the ergonomics. Specifically the pedals. The pedals seem to be set for someone with the leg-length of a 4 year old, but whos leg can extend like a dhalsim coz of the really long clutch travel. Its heavy too. the front wheel arch also sticks out abrubtly into your footwell, meaning that your rightfoot will scrape along it as u use operate the accelerator pedal. yay. It is basically impossible to drive the car with normal shoes. u would need to wear narrow driving shoes or go barefoot. having said all that it is a nice car. will post the pics up later.



another thing that happened this week was that I received my driving final theory test results, and i.... passed!!! Woohoo!! I was really relieved coz prior to that I took several practice tests and I failed all of those. oh well but I passed when it mattered, when it really counts. Several things annoyed me about the test.

Its really irratating how some people just simply cannot read and follow instructions (despite being given in English, Chinese, malay and tamil). In the practice booklets it explicitly says not to mark the book at all, but some idiots still go ahead and circle the answer so I usually know the answer before I even get to read the question. I feel like strangling them!!

Anyway back to the Final theory test. It is really quite a bit harder than the basic test. The basic test is easy coz all you have to do is just study and memorize all the signs etc., but the final theory test involves a bit of thinking and common sense. I have common sense, but that is precisely why it is difficult: some of the questions are vague and don't make sense themselves.

for example: You drive along and see a cyclist ahead travelling in a unsteady manner. what do u do?

a) horn and tell him to piss off and move aside
b) slow down and be ready to stop (if necessary)
c) give him a wider berth when overtaking

now A is obviously wrong. but how about B and C? Either one can be right right? Their answer is C. So, that means if faced with this situation and u slow down you are WRONG. see my point? to make matters worst, one would think that the more 'conservative (ie wussy driver)' answers are usually the way to go, this is true in most cases but in not in this case, B being the more conservative one (but NNOo, its WRONG to slow down).

another type of irritating question are these types:

"how far must u be when overtaking a moving vehicle/stationary vehicle/pedestrian walking in same direction/ pedestrian walking oppostite direction etc etc."

each different object has a SPECIFIC answer. It is ridiculous. A result of our earlier robotic mentality and education system I guess. "oh look, im overtaking a moving vehicle, i must keep 1.5m from it, if I keep 1.49m or 1.51m away i am WRONG!" yeah whateva. why do they even ask these questions in the first place? all these stupid rules really have no meaning in the real world. perception, judgement, confidence, responsibility and skill are what really matter... not knowing to overtake at 1.5m... pff.



misc stuff i did today
-went to the gym
-watched baharian grandprix (too tired to talk about it now)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?